Basic Brocoli Fritters
· 1 lb. steamed broccoli florets
· 2 jumbo eggs
· 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
· 4 tbsp. flour
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· salt and pepper, to taste
· vegetable oil, for frying
1. Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook them just until they are fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli well and transfer them to a cutting board. Using a large, sharp knife, cut them into very small pieces.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, eggs, Parmesan, flour, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
3. Place a cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan (a non-stick pan needs less oil). Scoop out 2- to 3-tablespoon mounds of the broccoli mixture into the pan, flattening the mounds slightly with a spatula and spacing them about one inch apart.
4. Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, flip them once, and cook them for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until they’re golden brown and cooked through. (*See recipe note below for baking instructions).
5. Serve warm with yogurt or sour cream.