Apple Turnover Ingredients:
- 1 lb puff pastry (2 sheets) thawed according to package instructions
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 1/4 lb Granny Smith apples (3 medium) peeled, cored and diced into 1/3" thick pieces
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg+ 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat Oven to 400˚F. Remove puff pastry from the freezer and thaw according to instructions while making and cooling the apple filling.
2. In a medium pot, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add diced apples and cook, stirring occasionally until softened (5 min).
3. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt. Continue to simmer 3 minutes until apples are soft and caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll the first sheet of thawed pastry to an 11" square. With a pizza cutter, cut into 4 equal-sized squares. Place cooled apple mixture over half of each square, leaving at least a 1/2" border.
5. Thoroughly Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water. Brush eggwash lightly on edges of the pastry (just enough to seal), bring the edges together and crimp tightly along the edges with a fork to seal.
6. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, keeping them at least 1" apart. With a paring knife, cut 2-3 small slits in the top of each turnover.* Brush the tops with egg wash and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden and puffed.
7. While turnovers are still warm, stir together powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream (adding to your desired consistency) and drizzle glaze over turnovers.