Chicken Curry Recipe
· 1 Large Onion
· 6 garlic cloves, roughly Chopped
· 50g ginger roughly chopped
· 4tbsp vegetable oil
· 2 tsp cumin seeds
· 1 tsp fennel seeds
· 5cm cinnamon seeds
· 1 tsp chilli flakes
· 1 tsp garam masala
· 1 tsp turmeric
· 1 tsp caster sugar
· 400g can chopped tomatoes 8 chicken thighs, skinned, boneless (about 800g)
· 250ml hot chicken stock
· 2 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Roughly chop 1 large onion, transfer to a small food processor, and add 3 tbsp of water - process to a slack paste. You could use a stick blender for this or coarsely grate the onion into a bowl – there’s no need to add any water if you are grating the onion. Tip into a small bowl and leave on one side.
2. Put 6 roughly chopped garlic cloves and 50g roughly chopped ginger into the same food processor and add 4 tbsp water – process until smooth and spoon into another small bowl. Alternatively, crush the garlic to a paste with a knife or garlic press and finely grate the ginger.
3. Heat 4 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok or sturdy pan set over a medium heat.
4. Combine 2 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp fennel seeds with a 5cm cinnamon stick and 1 tsp chilli flakes and add to the pan in one go. Swirl everything around for about 30 secs until the spices release a fragrant aroma.
5. Add the onion paste – it will splutter in the beginning. Fry until the water evaporates and the onions turn a lovely dark golden - this should take about 7-8 mins.