Creme Brulee Recipe
· 6 large egg yolks
· 1/3 cup (70 grams) granulated sugar
· 2 cups (480 ml) heavy whipping cream
· 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
· 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar (for the topping)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Set aside.
3. Pour the heavy whipping cream in a medium-sized saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the cream is warm and bubbling around the edges. Remove the cream from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the warm heavy whipping cream into the egg and sugar mixture making sure to whisk well as you're pouring it in. Then, slowly pour in the remaining cream and continue whisking until fully combined. If there's a thin layer of foam on top of the mixture, you can skim this off with a spoon at this point.
5. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, then evenly distribute between four 6-ounce ramekins.
6. Pour the boiling water into an 8-inch square baking pan (or larger pan if you prefer) about 1/3 of the way full. Carefully place the ramekins in the baking dish. The water should come about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. If needed, add a little more boiling water to the pan.
7. Carefully place the baking pan in the oven. Bake at 325°F (163°C) for 35-45 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is slightly jiggly. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the ramekins from the pan using tongs or pot holders and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
8. Once chilled, blot the tops of each custard with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of sugar on top of each custard, shake it around into one even layer, then use a small kitchen torch to carefully caramelize the sugar. Allow the sugar to harden for 1-2 minutes, then serve and enjoy, or refrigerate for a few hours until ready to serve.