Tofu And Mushroom Stir Fry
· 8 ounces broccolini (or broccoli)
· 8–10 ounces tofu- patted dry, cubed ( or chicken or shrimp)
· 1 fat shallot- thinly sliced
· 5 garlic cloves- rough chopped
· 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (or use button or cremini)
· Salt and Pepper
· 4–5 chilies de arbol (dried red chilies)
· 2 tablespoons- chopped peanuts or cashews (optional)
· 2 tablespoons water
1. Place broccolini in a , inside a with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down and simmer 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Uncover.
2. At the same time chop the shallots, garlic and slice the mushrooms.
3. Gather the rest of the ingredients together by the stove.
4. In or , heat the over medium high heat. When hot, season the oil with a generous 5 finger pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper.
5. Add tofu (or chicken or shrimp) and brown all sides flipping and turning until most sides sides are golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. If it is sticking, make sure pan is well oiled, and let it develop a little golden crust before flipping. When it gets this “crust” it will naturally release itself from the pan- if it’s sticking, you may be flipping it prematurely. Set the tofu (or chicken or shrimp) aside.
6. Add a little more to the wok and heat. When hot, add shallot and garlic, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Continue cooking turning heat to medium, stirring often until tender. Add dried chilies and optional nuts. Saute 1 minute.
7. Add vinegar, soy and water. Stir. Using , add the steamed broccolini and toss to coat. Add tofu, give a few stirs, coating all. Taste for salt, add more if necessary. Divide among two bowls.
9. Serve immediately.