Skinny Pinapple Chicken With Cashews
· 1 tablespoon canola oil or other neutral tasting oil
· 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cut into 1/2" cubes
· kosher salt to taste
· black pepper to taste
· 1 cup diced pineapple fresh or canned, juices reserved
· 2 garlic cloves minced
· 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
· 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
· 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
· 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
· 2 tablespoons soy sauce
· 2 teaspoons corn starch
· 1/2 cup cashews
· steamed rice and fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
1. Heat the oil (1 tablespoon) in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add the cut up chicken breast meat to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook chicken on all sides until browned on the outside and fully cooked, about 6 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix together the 2 minced cloves garlic, ginger (1 tablespoon), rice vinegar (2 tablespoons), sriracha (2 teaspoons), sesame oil (1/2 teaspoon), and soy sauce (2 tablespoons), along with any pineapple juice that's been reserved, in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
5. Whisk together corn starch (2 teaspoons) and 1/4 cup water in a separate small bowl until a smooth slurry is formed.
6. Add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken. Then, stir in the cornstarch slurry. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 3 minutes).
7. Add the cashews (1/2 cup) and diced pineapple (1 cup) to the skillet.
8. Serve over steamed rice garnished with fresh cilantro