Tom Yum Recipe
for 4 servings
· 2 stalks lemongrass
· 2 thai red chili peppers, sliced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon galangal, minced
· 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
· 5 cups vegetable broth(1.2 L)
· 1 large tomato, diced
· 5 lime leaves
· 1 cup coconut milk(240 mL)
· 2 tablespoons soy sauce
· 7 oz extra firm tofu(200 g), cubed
· 6 oz cremini mushroom(165 g), sliced
· ¼ cup lime juice
· 1 tablespoon agave
· salt, to taste
· fresh cilantro leaf, for garnish
1. Trim off the top third and very bottom of the lemongrass stalks. Using the side of a knife, press down across the stalks to bruise the lemongrass and release the oils. Chop each stalk into 4 pieces and set aside.
2. Add the chili peppers, garlic, and galangal to a mortar and pestle and grind into a paste. Set aside.
3. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the lemongrass and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add the chili pepper paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add the vegetable broth, tomato, lime leaves, coconut milk, and soy sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until broth has reduced slightly.
5. Add the tofu and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
6. Add the lime juice and agave and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve.