Chicken Tikka Masala
· 1 cup basmati rice
· 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
· 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
· 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
· 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
· 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
· 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
· 1 cup chicken stock
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
2. Heat canola oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken and onion to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder and turmeric until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken stock; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute.
6. Serve immediately with rice, garnished with cilantro, if desired.