Gado-Gado Salad Javanese Authentic
- ½ lb green beans (or yardlong beans), cut into 2-inch/5cm pieces and blanched
- ½ lb bean sprouts , blanched
- ½ lb white cabbage , sliced and blanched
- 4 hard-boiled eggs , quartered
- 4 small cucumbers , sliced
- 12 oz. firm tofu
- 12 oz. tempeh
- 2 potatoes , boiled and cubed (optional)
- Lontong or rice cake (optional)
- Krupuk or emping (optional)
For the sauce
· 2 cups peanuts , unsalted
- 5 cloves garlic , peeled
- 2 red chili peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 oz. palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind extract
- Juice of 1 lime
- First, prepare the sauce by frying the peanuts in a hot pan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil (skip this step if they are roasted). Stir frequently for a few minutes until they get lightly brown.
- Mix the peanuts, garlic and chili with a mortar and pestle or in a blender to obtain a homogeneous paste.
- In a saucepan, combine the processed mixture with the tamarind extract, lime juice and water (about ¼ cup/60 ml). Continue simmering to reach the desired consistency for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Cut tofu in 1-inch (2,5 cm)cubes. Fry the tofu in a pan with hot vegetable oil to lightly brown them on all the sides.
- Slice the tempeh and fry it for a few minutes.
- Arrange all the ingredients on a plate and serve with the peanut sauce.