· 6 large egg yolks
· 5/8 cup brown sugar (125g)
· 4 cups milk (960ml)
· 2 tbsp unsulphured or dark molasses (30ml)
· 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 2 vanilla beans* (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
· 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
· 1/8 tsp allspice
· 1/4 tsp ground ginger
· 1/8 tsp ground cloves
· 1+1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (360ml)
· 1/2 cup rum (120ml)
1. In a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment whisk egg yolks and sugar until creamy and fluffy for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, combine milk, molasses, cinnamon, vanilla*, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cloves. Bring to a simmer and stir regularly. Once it reached a simmer, turn heat down to low. Add a 1/2 cup of hot milk to the egg yolks and stir until combined. Slowly pour tempered egg yolks into the saucepan whisking continuously. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the eggnog gets thicker and coats the back of a spoon. Stir consistently. Do not boil at any time. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally.
3. In a large bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Add whipped cream and rum to the cooled eggnog and stir with a whisk to combine. Chill in the fridge overnight. Store leftovers in the fridge up to 1 week.