Pan-Fried Bananas With Brandy
· 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice (from about 4 oranges)
· 4 large firm, medium-ripe bananas
· 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 oz)
· 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon brandy
· 1 tablespoon water
· Large pinch salt
· Coconut cream, chilled, for lavishing (from a can of coconut cream or skimmed from the top of a can of coconut milk)
1. Pour the orange juice into a small pan and simmer vigorously until reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel the bananas and cut each in half crosswise, then cut each half in half lengthwise.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and heat until it’s melted and nutty brown.
4. Add the bananas and quickly sauté until lightly browned and just tender, about 1 minute, turning once halfway through with a spatula. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the butter and gently shake the skillet until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
5. Carefully divvy the bananas among 4 dessert plates. Add the remaining sugar and butter, reduced orange juice, brandy, water, and salt to the skillet and simmer for 1 minute. Drizzle the sauce over the bananas and serve with a spoonful of coconut cream