Fried Tapioca Dough And Peanut Sauce
· 100 gram all purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
· 100 gram tapioca flour (Indonesian: tepung tapioka)
· 2-3 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
· 1.5-2 tablespoon dried shrimps (Indonesian: ebi), toasted and ground
· 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), grated
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
· 200 ml warm water
You may need
· bamboo skewers
· 100 gram roasted peanut (Indonesian: kacang tanah sangrai)
· 1 clove garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
· 3-5 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
· 25 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
· 100 ml hot water
1. Combine all purpose flour, tapioca flour, scallions, dried shrimps, garlic, salt, sugar, and ground white pepper in a mixing bowl.
2. Pour water in batches and work into the dough until no longer sticky, you may not need to use all the water. If you end up with a runny dough, you can fix it by adding equal amount of all purpose flour and tapioca flour. Shape into 1 inch balls and set aside.
3. For boiled cilok: Bring a pot of water to boil. Gently drop the balls into the boiling water and cook until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon. It is traditional to skewer about 3 to 4 balls per bamboo skewer. Serve immediately with peanut sauce.
4. For fried cilok: Deep fry the balls in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. Remove from hot oil and serve immediately with peanut sauce.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and sauté garlic and chilies until fragrant and cooked, about 3 minutes.
2. In a food processor, grind together peanut, garlic, and chili into a fine paste. Transfer this into a bowl.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together to make the peanut sauce.