Salsa Ranchera The Perfect Salsa
· 1 pound tomatoes
· 2-3 jalapeno peppers or use serrano peppers for a hotter version
· ½ large white or yellow onion
· 4 garlic cloves
· 3 tablespoons cilantro
· Salt to taste
- Slice the tomatoes and jalapenos in half lengthwise and set them onto a cast iron pan or baking sheet, skin sides up.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves.
- Set the pan into the center of the oven and broil (400 degrees F) for 20 minutes, or until the skins of the tomatoes and peppers blister up. Do not allow to burn.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes, peppers and garlic. Discard them.
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onion in a food processor along with cilantro and salt. If using any of the optional ingredients, add them now. Process until smooth.
- Adjust for salt and serve warm.