Jakarta Fragrant Coconut Rice
- 2 cup rice (use the cup that comes with the rice cooker)
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk (regular US cup)
- 2 1/2 cup water (regular US cup)
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 fresh/frozen pandan leaves, washed and knotted
- 4 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 thin slices of ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 thin slices of galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker pot and cook until ready.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid.
- Remove the lemongrass, pandan, Indonesian bay leaves, ginger, and galangal. Stir with the rice cooker paddle.
- It is traditional to shape the rice with a cone mold (I just use a banana leaf and make it into a cone), but you can also just use a rice bowl to shape.
- Serve with ayam ungkep (fried chicken), tempeh goreng lengkuas (fried tempeh in galangal sauce), and telur dadar gulung (rolled fried egg).