Sweet Potatoes BBQ Turkey Meatloaf
· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 1 small sweet potato, shredded (about 3/4 cup shredded sweet potato)
· 1 pound lean ground turkey (94%)
· 1 small white onion, finely diced
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 egg, slightly beaten
· 1/2 cup italian style panko breadcrumbs (or use gluten free breadcrumbs)
· 2 tablespoons low sugar bbq sauce (I like Stubb’s)
· 1 teaspoon cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like heat)
· 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 oz sliced sharp cheddar cheese (or ½ cup shredded cheddar)
o For the topping:
· 1/3 cup low sugar bbq sauce
· Optional: Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in olive oil and sweet potato shreds; sauce for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine turkey, onion, sweet potato shreds, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons bbq sauce, spices, and salt and pepper. Use your hands or a large spoon to mix until well combined. I find that it's much easier to combine the ingredients if you use your hands.
- Place half of meat mixture on foil-lined pan and shape into a 10x4 inch rectangle. Top with cheddar evenly, leaving about an 1/2 inch of room on the sides. Top with the remaining meat mixture, enclosing the cheese completely and sealing the sides/edges together.
- Spread half of the bbq sauce on top of the meat loaf, reserve other half for brushing on when meatloaf is finished baking.
- Bake meatloaf for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Top with remaining sauce and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 slices. Top with cilantro and serve with sweet potato fries or a side salad.