Black Sticky Rice Dessert
· 1 cup rice (black glutinous)
· 1/4 cup sugar (brown or substitute maple syrup)
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cans coconut milk
· 1 1/2 cups water
· 3 eggs
For the Topping:
· 1 dollop coconut cream
· 1 dollop whipped cream (optional)
STEPS TO MAKE IT
1. Soak the rice overnight, or for at least 6 hours (otherwise the rice will take all day to cook).
2. Place drained rice in a pot together with brown sugar, salt, 1 can coconut milk, and all the water. Boil half-covered until the liquid has been absorbed and rice is soft to chew. (If necessary, add 1 cup more water and continue cooking until rice is tender.)
3. When rice is done cooking, allow it to cool slightly.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 can coconut milk plus the eggs. Mix thoroughly. Dip your finger in to check the taste - add a little more sugar if needed.
5. Pour this mixture into one large baking dish, or divide up into individual ramekins. Cover with tin foil (or a lid if using a baking dish). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and either serve warm or place in the refrigerator and serve cold (it's good both ways!).
7. When serving, add a dollop of coconut cream on top (the solid cream from the top of a can of thick coconut milk), or whipped cream. Enjoy with a strong cup of tea or coffee.
SLOW COOKER METHOD
1. Place drained rice in slow cooker together with brown sugar, salt, 1 can coconut milk, and all the water. Cook overnight or all day on LOW or for 2 to 3 hours on HIGH until all liquid is absorbed. Rice should be soft to chewy in texture. (If the rice is too tough, add 1 cup more water and allow to continue cooking until done.)
2. Follow steps 3 through 7 above (stovetop method) to complete the dish.