Thai Cashew Chicken
· 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
· 1/2 cup Water
· 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
· 1 Tbsp Dark Sweet Soy Sauce
· 2 tsp Oyster Sauce
· 1 tsp Cornstarch
· 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (opt - skip if you don't want the dish to be spicy)
· 1/4 tsp Ground White Pepper (opt)
· 1/2 Yellow Onion, sliced
· 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
· 3 stalks Green Onions, chopped
· 1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped
· pinch of salt
· 1 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
· 1/2 cup Raw Cashews (or use roasted and unsalted cashews)
· 1/4 cup Cooking Oil (like vegetable or peanut oil)
· Rice, for serving
1. Make sauce: Whisk together garlic, water, light soy sauce, dark sweet soy sauce, and oyster sauce. Whisk in cornstarch. Add red pepper flakes and white pepper (if using). Set aside.
2. Prep ingredients: Slice onion and bell pepper and combine. Chop green onions. Dice chicken and toss with a pinch of salt and flour.
3. Set onions / peppers, green onions, chicken, sauce, and cashews near the stove. Place a paper towel on top of a plate and set that near the stove.
4. Heat cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
5. When oil is hot, add cashews and saute until golden brown and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to prevent them from burning). Set cashews on paper-towel lined plate. Leave oil in the wok.
6. To remaining oil in wok, add chicken. Let chicken cook for 2 minutes without stirring (this will help it to brown on the bottom).
7. Continue cooking, turning occasionally, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes total.
8. Transfer chicken to the plate with the cashews and return wok to heat.
9. To any remaining oil in the wok, add onions and bell peppers.
10. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Add a splash of water if the pan starts to look dry.)
11. Pour sauce over onions and peppers.
12. Simmer until sauce starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
13. Add green onions, chicken, and cashews to pan. Cook everything together for 1 minute to coat in sauce.
14. Serve over rice.