Cookies and Cream Cake
For the Cake:
· 2 cups all-purpose flour 237g
· 1 cup granulated sugar 228g
· 1/4 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp kosher salt
· 3/4 cup unsalted butter 176g, room temp
· 3 egg whites
· 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
· 1/2 cup sour cream 133g, room temp
· 1/2 cup whole milk 113g, room temp
· 1 cup chopped Oreos 120g
For the Buttercream:
· 1 1/2 cup butter 340g, room temp
· 5 cups confectioners' sugar 600g
· 1 1/3 cups crushed Oreos 165g
· 1/4 cup heavy cream 60g
· pinch salt kosher
For the Ganache:
· 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 200g
· 1/2 cup Heavy cream 110g, heated
For the Cake
1. Butter and flour three six inch pans. I use cake strips on my pans for more even baking as well. Preheat oven to 340F
2. In a standing mixture fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Beat the dry ingredients into the butter until well incorporated, scrape the bowl at least once.
5. Beat the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
6. Add the wet to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the crushed Oreos at the very end and mix until just combined.
7. Divide the mixture evenly into the cake pans
8. Bake at 340 for about 25-30 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
For the Buttercream
1. Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and cream and mix.
2. Reserve about a cup of the buttercream for the white dollops. Which will be piped with an 869 tip.
3. Mix in the crushed Oreos into the large batch of buttercream.
For the Ganache
1. Melt chocolate and cream together on low heat. Whisk together and set aside. You might need to add more or less cream to achieve the desired consistency.
For the Assembly
2. Oreo buttercream goes between each layer as well as a swirl of chocolate. Don't go overboard with the ganache as it will overpower the other flavors.
3. Coat outside with buttercream and smooth.
4. Add a skirt of crushed Oreos at the bottom of the cake.
5. Pour the ganache on top and allow to drip. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
6. Pipe white buttercream dollops on top with an 869 tip