Omelet in a Hole
· 6 pieces sandwich bread (square shape)
· 1 red bell pepper (diced)
· 1 green bell pepper (diced)
· 8 strips of bacon (cut into bite sized pieces)
· ½ onion (diced (about ¼ cup))
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 6 eggs
· Salt and pepper ( to taste)
· 1 cup white cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
· Extra butter for cooking the omelet
1. Take each slice of bread and using a knife cut out the center part of the bread leaving an outline around the bread crust. Save the piece you cut out for later use.
2. In a large nonstick skillet place the butter and melt it over medium-high heat.
3. Add the peppers, onions and bacon and cook stirring frequently until the bacon is fully cooked and vegetables are to your desired tenderness. Once done remove to a bowl and set aside.
4. Empty out the extra grease and wipe the skillet clean. Be careful as it might still be hot.
5. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs together with the salt and pepper and ½ cup cheese.
6. Depending on the size of your bread and your skillet you can work on 1-2 pieces at a time. Over medium heat place a small pat of butter and place bread into the nonstick skillet.
7. Spoon some pepper, onion and bacon mixture into the middle of the bread and spread it around crust to crust (About 1/3 cup if you want to measure)
8. Next pour some of the egg mixture into the center until it fills the bread. (About 1/3 cup if you want to measure)
9. Sprinkle a little bit of cheese over the omelet mixture.
10. Next carefully put the cut out square piece of bread back into the hole and push it down slightly.
11. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Then carefully using a spatula and your hand on top of the bread to keep the middle piece of bread in place, flip the bread over. Cook the other side 1-2 minutes.
12. You may need to add a little butter to the skillet before cooking the next batch.