Apple Cinnamon Muffins
· 1 3/4 cup whole grain flour I used Spelt
· 2 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon allspice
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
· 1/4 cup pure Maple syrup
· 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 eggs
· 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil melted and cooled
· 1 1/2 cup apple grated
· Apple finely chopped
· Ceylon cinnamon for coating
· Coconut sugar for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease with coconut oil.
2. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, spices, soda, baking powder and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate larger bowl whisk the eggs with coconut oil, syrup, applesauce and vanilla. Add grated apple and mix well.
4. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
5. In a small bowl, coat thinly chopped apples with cinnamon.
6. Top each muffin with chopped apples and press them into the batter. Sprinkle with coconut sugar (optional).
7. Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a baking rack.
Keep in the airtight container up to 3 days.I used US cup (240ml) as a measure.