Apple Pie Cookies
For the Filling:
· 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 30mL
· 3 pounds apples Honey crisp, Golden Delicious, Cortland, or Mitsu
· 2/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling on the pie
· 1/4 cup unsalted butter
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 pinch nutmeg
For the Dough:
· 2 1/2 cups flour plus more for rolling
· 4 tbs granulated sugar
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 16 tbs unsalted butter chilled
· 4 tbs ice water
· 2 tsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp all-spice
· 1/2 tsp ginger
For the Egg Wash
· 1 egg
· 1 tbsp cream
For the Caramel
· 1 cup brown sugar
· 5 tbsp butter unsalted
· 1/2 cup cream
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· 1 pinch salt generous
For the Caramel
1. Combine ingredients in small pot and heat over medium-low heat while whisking. Cook 7-8 minutes. You will notice when the caramel begins to thicken.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Filling
1. Once your apples are roughly chopped, put them in a bowl and add the sugar, spices and lemon juice. Toss them around to make sure they are evenly coated. Now in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook stirring until the sugar dissolves and it begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover it up, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.
2. Strain the apples in a colander over a medium bowl to catch all the juice. Shake the colander to get as much liquid as possible. Return the juices to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the reduced juice and spices. Set aside to cool completely. Chop into small piece once cool and return to bowl.
For the Crust
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and spices. Whisk together. Grate in chilled butter and drizzle in ice cold water. Mix using a fork. You can also whiz together in a food processor.
2. Shape into two disks, wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Crack an egg into a small bowl and add a tablespoon of cream them mix well and chill until ready to use for egg wash.
4. Roll your pastry dough out to about 1/4" thick. One half of the dough is for the bases and the other half is for the lattice tops. You will probably want to chill the dough for the lattice tops until just before cutting the strips and arranging on top.
5. Cut into circles.
6. Brush with caramel.
7. Add about 1 tablespoon of the apple pie filling to the center of each circle. Brush edge with egg wash.
8. Arrange the lattice top and brush with egg wash again.
9. Cut and remove excess with the same round cutter you used for the base.
10. Sprinkle with sugar (and cinnamon if desired) and bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.