· 4 large eggs (50 g each w/o shell)
· 140 g sugar (⅔ cup)
· 2 Tbsp honey
· 160 g all-purpose flour (plain flour) (1 ⅓ cup; If you're using a cup measurement, please follow this method to measure. Otherwise, the amount of flour tends to be more than you need. 1 cup should be 120 g. Use gluten-free flour for GF)
· 1 tsp baking powder
· 1-2 Tbsp water (Please adjust between 1-2 Tbsp)
· 1 tsp neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, canola, etc) (for cooking)
· 520 g red bean paste (anko) (18 oz; Make Homemade Anko or use canned Ogura-An)
1. Gather all the ingredients.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and honey and whisk well until the mixture becomes fluffy.
3. Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix all together. Keep in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
4. The batter should be slightly smoother now. Stir in 1 Tbsp. of water. Depends on the size of eggs and how accurate your flour measurement is, the water amount may vary but it should be 1-2 Tbsp.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat (close to low). It's best to take your time and heat slowly. I keep the heat setting to the lowest for 5 minutes. Dip a paper towel in vegetable oil and coat the bottom of the pan with the oil. Then remove the oil completely (that's the key for evenly golden brown dorayaki surface). With a ladle or a small measuring cup (I use a 4 Tbsp measuring cup), pour 3 Tbsp of the batter from 3" (8 cm) above the pan to create 3" (8 cm) diameter pancakes.
6. When you see the surface of the batter starting to bubble, flip over and cook the other side. With my stovetop and frying pan, it takes 1 minute and 15-30 seconds to cook one side and 20-30 seconds on the other side). Transfer to a plate and cover up with a damp towel to prevent from drying. You do not need to oil the pan again. Continue making pancakes (you can make about 12 pancakes).
7. Make sandwich with red bean paste. Put more red bean paste in the center so the shape of dorayaki will be curved (middle part should be thicker). Wrap dorayaki with plastic wrap until ready to serve.