Chocolate Eclair Cupcakes
· 2 1/2 cups cake flour
· 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp salt
· 4 lg eggs
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
· 1 cup light olive oil (or canola oil)
· 1 cup buttermilk
· Custard Filling:
· 3 cups milk
· 3 egg yolks
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup corn starch
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 3/4 tsp vanilla
· Ganache topping:
· 16 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a bowl with an electric beater, beat eggs until they are thoroughly mixed, add in sugar and continue mixing.
4. Add in oil and vanilla until they are thoroughly mixed in as well.
5. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until it is incorporated
6. Add 1/3 of the buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
7. Continue alternating adding in ingredients until they are all mixed in.
8. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full.
9. Bake 12-14 minutes checking often to ensure doneness.
10. Cool on a wire baking rack.
1. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl, add in milk and whisk together until thoroughly mixed.
2. mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. slowly stir in a small amount of milk and egg mixture, making a smooth paste. Gradually stir in remaining milk mixture until blended.
3. cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, 20 to 25 minutes. BOIL and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat immediately.
4. cool quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water. stir occasionally and gently for a few minutes to hasten cooling. stir in vanilla. press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream to prevent "skin" from forming. refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
1. Add butter to a saucepan on medium heat
2. Add in the heavy whipping cream and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil
3. Put the chocolate chips into a medium size bowl
4. Pour the whipping cream mixture over the chocolate chips and stir constantly until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
5. The sauce should be thick.
1. Putting the cupcakes together:
2. Cut a circle into the top of the cupcakes and fill with the custard, replace the top.
3. Put the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a circular tip.
4. pipe the ganache in a circle on top of the cupcakes.