Easy Pickled Carrots
· 5 lbs. carrots, multi-colored or orange
· 3 cups white vinegar
· 3 cups of water
· 3 Tbsp. Kosher salt
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 4 tsp. dill seeds
· 2 tsp. mustard seeds
· 2 tsp. black peppercorns
· 1 tsp. red chili flakes
· 4 cloves garlic, cracked
· 4 sterilized 500 ml. pint jars
1. Sterilize jars; I run mine through the dishwasher and then into boiling water for 5 min. including the lids and rings. If doing ahead of time keep then warm in a 200F. oven.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil to blanch the carrots.
3. Prepare carrots by washing, peeling and cutting into thin sticks. Measure them up to the jars to make sure they fit.
4. With the water at a full boil drop the carrots in and cook for 2-3 min. until tender-crisp.
5. Drain the carrots quickly and immerse them in an ice-water bath. Drain.
6. Add vinegar, water, salt, and sugar to a large pot and bring to a boil, cook for about 5 min or until salt and sugar are dissolved.
7. Divide spices between jars and add 1 garlic clove per jar. Pack in carrots tightly.
8. Pour the hot brine into the jars using a canning funnel, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
9. With a knife or skewer remove any air bubbles.
10. Wipe the lids and place the lids on and the rings. Screw to fingertip tightness.
11. Place in a water bath for 10 min. at sea level or according to altitude adjustment.